A Small Ottawa Photo Studio Earning Good Karma by Giving Back
Inspired by an audio program by Ben & Jerry's (yes the ice-cream guys) I heard decades ago, I thought of a way a little business like mine could make a difference to those less fortunate. I knew I would never be able to write large cheques to the various charities I liked so I came up with several "Don't pay us, pay them" charity promotions.
The idea was simple, we would run promotions and offer our services free to those people that would make a contribution to the selected charity. The client would save some money and get the tax receipt, we would earn the good karma.
Over the last couple of decades we were able to help in a small way. Rotary International honored me with a Paul Harris Fellowship in recognition of my efforts.
- Wheelchair Foundation Canada, 48 wheelchairs purchased through various business headshot promotions and delivered to the needy in the third world.
- WaterCan, our portrait and grad photo promotion raised funds to build a well in Ethiopia providing safe clean water to the Bachoo-Ilu village.
- Smile Train, we raised $1125. Enough to provide four children with free cleft pallet surgery.
- Polio Plus, raised money to buy 3,600 does of the Polio vaccine.
- 1989 Ontario Games for the Physically Disabled, Bronze Patron Sponsor